2020’s Top 10 Face Recognition Apps
With the advent of biometrics, the digital world witnessed some ground-breaking innovations in the form of AI-based face recognition apps. The global facial recognition market size is valued at $3.2 billion in 2019 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 16.6% in 2024.
The concept of mobile face recognition seemed more like science fiction about some three decades ago. But, now, the facial recognition app helps control false arrests, diagnose patients with genetic conditions, and lower the cybercrime rate. Such a wide landscape also leads to engaging and entertaining people with successful developments like Face app and its alternatives.
Looking at this growing trend of face recognition software, we at Space-O Technologies Canada had a discussion with our Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning app consultants about the types of biometrics technology and the best recognition apps 2020. So, if you are planning to develop face recognition app for your business or security purpose, you need to know your niche and the competitors. Have a good read of this blog and you will get more market insights.
We have come a long way in AI-based deep learning technology. From unlocking a device to identifying criminals. Somehow this biometrics technology has become an interesting topic, both in research and in industry.
Facial recognition comes under biometric authentication when used under security purpose. Biometric data (BioID connect) is unique for each individual and therefore used to identify each of them. Compared to traditional card recognition, fingertip, or iris recognition, face recognition has more advantages. The facial recognition system has advantages like high concurrency, non-contact limits, user friendly. From security purposes to education every field is adapting the face application biometric technology.
The social media apps like Snapchat, Instagram, Prisma, MSQRD, have helped in bringing advancement in this field other than the security angle. Celebrities like Kylie Jenner, Jennifer Lopez, Justin Bieber, Chris Hemsworth enjoy the old age filter of face app, and posting the same picture all over the internet made the face app popular all of a sudden in a night.
Thus, there are many other facial recognition software with different facial features that have made the bioid connect possible. Now, without any further due, let’s get on to the list of face recognition apps and know more about their features, pros-cons, and more.
Here is a list of the best face recognition apps which are all used in different fields. Let’s take a look. You might even have a Newton moment while reading about them and get inspired to develop an app yourself.
10 Best Face Recognition Apps of 2020
|App Name||Ratings||Total Downloads||Available for Platform||Price||Download|
|Luxand||Google Play: 3.6|
Apple app store: 3.7
|Face App||Google Play: 4.7|
Apple app store: 4.7
|100,000,000+||iOS, Android||In-app purchases vary from $4.99 to $39.99|
|AppLock||Google Play: 3.9||1,000,000+||Android||Free|
|Face DNA Test||Google Play: 4.0||100,000+||Android||Value package $6.95, basic package is $11.40, PRO package $63|
|Railer||Google Play: 3.7||1,000+||iOS, Android||Free|
|Blippar||Google Play: 3.4|
Apple app store: 2.2
|Face2Gene||Google Play: 2.5|
Apple app store: 2.5
|Face First||Google Play: 3.6|
Apple app store: 5.0
|MojiPop||Google Play: 4.2|
Apple app store: 4.6
|1,000,000+||iOS, Android||In-app purchases vary from $0.99 to $1.99|
|BioID||Google Play: 2.4|
Apple app store: 1.9
#1. Luxand (iOS, Android)
Luxand face recognition is not just one app. It is actually a whole hi-tech company that was formed in 2005 with has a bunch of different services and apps under its name. It consists of Face SDK ideal for surveillance, biometric identification, and other purposes used by big organizations and brands around the world.
Luxand face recognition customers include big brands like Universal Pictures, Samsung, LG, Philips, Unilever, P&G, Ford, Badoo. Not only these, the United States Department of Defence Cyber Crime Center, Singapore Ministry of Home Affairs, Korea National Forensic Service are also their customers.
- The facial recognition app memorizes faces to recognize it for future references
- Face recognition software detects 70 unique facial features
- It can recognize faces in live video streams or footage and authenticate the profile identification
- It provides Face SDK feature publicly with privacy concerns for multiple face detection APIs
Luxand face recognition APIs are as under
- Facial recognition API: Just tap at a detected face and add a name to it. The face app will memorize it. It will recognize it at any time in the future. In fact, you can also move your head so that the facial recognition app recognizes your face at multiple views.
- Avatar API: Transform users’ faces into 3D animated avatars that can emote.
- E-Cards API: Create 3D e-Cards and animated faces of the visitors
- Baby Prediction API: Predict the future of the users by creating a photo of their potential child
- Face Aging API: Lets the users discover how their faces might look as they age through the facial recognition software
- Zombie API: The end users can discover how they would look if they were Zombies.
- Face Enhancement API: The face recognition technology lets the users improve skin tone and enhance photos by removing imperfections.
Let’s look at the pros & cons before moving on to other recognition apps.
#2. FaceApp (iOS, Android)
It is a face detection app launched in 2017 for iOS phones only. Later as the popularity increased, it was launched for Android as well.
This is the most famous celebrity face recognition among the others in this genre. The FaceApp started the trend of people posting photos of their old selves. Almost everyone did this on social platforms, even celebrities. It is known as the “best face recognition app actors” as actors from Justin Bieber to Jennifer Lopez everyone engages in the app.
- The facial recognition app engages the audience with Hollywood filter selfie
- Tech-savvy AI-Based styling features
- It recognizes (facial identification) celebrities and allows users to share their old and new photographs like other media apps
- A user can replace the background with a single tap, and also apply color filters, and lens blur by using the faceapp
Like a compare two faces app, you can also create a ‘before and after’ image of your current and future self. These are the filters available in FaceApp.
- Smile filter: Decide how wide you want the smile to be. In fact, you can make a smile toothed or remove teeth from one.
- Hairstyle filter: Make the hair blonde, white, black, or brunette and see what you look like if that was your hair color. Also, experiment with different amusing hairstyles and have fun.
- Genderswap filter: The gender swap filter of this facial recognition app is probably the most efficient after Snapchat. See what you would look like if you belonged to the opposite sex.
- Age filter: Through Faceapp one can see the older and younger versions of yourself. People are using this filter not only on their own faces but even on the faces of celebrities and friends.
- Skin tone lightning filter: You can use this filter to lighten their skin tone and look different.
Let’s have a look at its pros & cons before moving towards other recognition apps.
Planning to build a security face recognition app? Want to discuss your idea confidentially?
#3 AppLock (Android)
AppLock, being among the best face recognition apps, is one of the facial recognition software that ensures that only a user can access their personal information, social media apps, and financial accounts.
It is not only for mobile face recognition but also for voice recognition for security purposes. As the name suggests, the face and voice are the biometric keys that can unlock your apps.
How facial recognition works?
- Choose one of the three pre-selected voice-unlock phrases or create your own custom unlock phrase.
- Enroll both the face and voice by looking into the phone and speaking the passphrase.
- Select the apps you want to lock.
- Select the security level to use for each app.
- Combines speaker and face recognition technology to ensure a seamless and secure experience
- Create a backup authentication option to use your backup method if conditions are extreme for face or voice
- It works in the offline mode without internet
Let’s have a look at its pros and cons before moving towards other face recognition apps.
#4 Face DNA Test (Android)
This is an ancestry facial recognition app. Among the mobile applications, it is one of the most advanced face apps online, as it takes the facial profile of one person and calculates the unique facial points. The facial recognition app then compares them to another person to see if those two people could probably be related.
Source: Face DNA Test
- Compare the facial profiles of siblings
- Verify the relationship between family members with the help of algorithms of the app
- It uses 68 different facial points and compares one person’s anatomy to another (facial identification)
- Baby photos can also be used to obtain accurate results
Let’s have a look at its pros & cons before moving on to the other recognition apps.
#5. Railer (IOS, Android)
There are a lot of offices, colleges, schools, and other institutes that use facial recognition to manage attendance. The main benefit is that no one can mark fake attendance or try to do “buddy-punching” for their friends.
Railer app is a face recognition attendance app and a mobile attendance system. It is one of the best face recognition apps used to track employee attendance.
The most unique facial features of this app are that it takes care of a lot of aspects and needs minimal manual work by integrating the deep learning BioID connect technology. The HR department can actually use it to track employee leaves and workdays.
- Employees can log-in and out quickly using face recognition on the mobile
- It allows users to self-check-in and out or kiosk mode
- The HR team can have time attendance
- The facial recognition app also helps leave management
- The app provides analytics and reporting
- The app sends push notifications so that the user is kept informed of the necessary details
Let’s have a look at its pros and cons before moving towards the other face recognition apps.
#6. Blippar (iOS, Android)
The latest addition to our list is the Blippar app. Blippar is an amazing app that helps users learn from their surroundings. Users can just scan whatever they want to learn more about and the app will tell everything it can.
It is mainly an object recognition application. It helps users unlock augmented reality experiences from everyday objects and places. If they scan a dog, it will give information like which breed it is, if they scan a logo, it will tell them the brand and so on. It can also recognize human faces and makes it a worthy entry on our list.
- Scan every object
- Scan a place
- Scan animal, plants
- Recognize human faces
Let’s have a look at its pros & cons.
Want to develop an interesting AI-based recognition app with unique features & functionalities?
#7 Face2Gene (iOS, Android)
This facial recognition is designed specifically for healthcare professionals and thus it is not for public use. It is not viable to use this app without any medical training. It evaluates enhanced patient evaluation with next-generation phenotyping. The face recognition app development increases the confidence of clinicians and bioinformatics by prioritizing genetic disorders and variants in the clinic and in the lab. It is one of the best evolutions in the healthcare app genre.
- Discovers genetic disorders and detects dysmorphic features
- Special community group created for health care professionals
- Users get constant feedback and comments on their cases
- The doctors can directly share cases in secured group forums
Let’s have a look at its pros and cons.
#8 Face First (iOS, Android)
Among the other face recognition apps, this facial recognition allows users to identify people from a distance. It is an ideal online face app for law enforcement, military, retailers, transportation centers. When a user uploads a photo on the app, that particular person is identified with a massive database of known persons to know his individuality and avoids identity theft.
The app has functionalities like real-time alerts, accurate details, emails, and text alerts to the users. Organizations can keep an eye on their employees without any internet connection. It also protects all data uploaded on the app from third-party access. The app does not work without valid credentials and properly-licensed servers.
- Security alerts are automatically routed to the right people with correct information and time
- It has mobile watchlist functionality. Thus, any organization can keep an eye on their new persons
- A photograph taken from a safe distance can also confirm personal identity
Let’s have a look at its pros and cons.
#9 MojiPop (iOS, Android)
Eureka Studios in the UK has developed a customized avatars app in the form of MojiPop. It is a free facial recognition software that has a wide range of fun animated stickers. These portray different moods and feelings of the users through an interactive keyboard. It claims to release new emojis every day.
- Take a selfie and create your own avatar
- Multilingual as it is available in 58 languages
- Users can change hairstyles, expressions, backgrounds, and moods in the photos
Let’s have a look at its pros and cons before moving to the other face recognition apps.
#10 BioID (iOS, Android)
It is one of a multi-factor user authentication systems, face recognition app. The app uses biometrics to verify identities and enables individuals to log into various supported websites and apps with face identification.
BioID claims to identify hackers using their patented Fake Defender feature. Hence, a user has to click his photo every time he enrolls in the app for verification. The application also has liveness detection that protects photos attacks and a challenge-response to block video replay attacks.
- The BioID connect provides liveness detection to prevent photos and videos
- Analyzes movement to ensure users presence
- Periocular eye recognition for partially visible faces for BioID connect
- Photos are clicked in four directions to vary the lightning
Let’s have a look at its pros and cons
Now, let’s have a look at the biometrics market and types of biometrics which will help you in developing your own facial recognition app with its own niche.
Growth of Biometrics Market
- Biometric tech is now in almost every smartphone and mobile device. You can see the growth of the share of mobile devices that have biometric technology.
- In 2018 global biometrics system brought in around 21.8 billion U.S. dollars
- The market is projected to grow rapidly in the coming years, reaching a size of 55.42 billion U.S. dollars by 2027.
- Facebook started using facial recognition in 2010. Now, it will use this facial recognition technology to unlock the with ‘FaceID’ from January 2020.
After knowing the scope of your applications development, you might want to have an insight into the niche of biometrics and figure out your own face recognition app ideas. We have curated these with the help of one of our machine learning developers.
Do you want to build a recognition software for your business?
Types of Biometrics
There are two kinds of biometrics, they fall into two categories: physical identifiers and behavioral identifiers. Let’s check out physical identifiers.
1. Fingerprints: Fingerprints have their widespread deployment on smartphones. Any device can be touched, such as a computer mouse, smartphone screen, door panel, has the potential to become an easy and convenient fingerprint scanner.
2. Photo and video: If the mobile phone is well equipped with a camera, it can easily be used for authentication. The common approaches to this are facial recognition and retinal exams.
3. Voice: Speech/ voice recognition is one of the popular authentication systems that already use digital assistants and phone-based service portals to identify users.
4. DNA: It is the only biometrics that can trace familial ties. This identification biometric is accurate when dealing with missing persons, disaster victim identification, and potential human trafficking. It gives confirmed victims from the smallest skin particles of the body. Law enforcement officers primarily use this to identify suspects.
5. Signature recognition: This recognition software is in general use at retail outlets and banks. It is a good option for situations where users already expect to sign their names.
6. Physiological recognition: The human faces are authentically recognized by facial recognition. Apart from that, there are other image-based recognitions like hand geometry, retina or iris reading, palm vein recognition, and ear shape recognition.
1. Typing patterns: It identifies a person by its typing speed, time taken to go from one letter to another, the degree of impact on the keyboard. Recognizes a person from its typing style.
2. Navigation standards: These are easy to detect with software, mouse movements, finger movements on the touch screen are unique individuals, thus, they are accurate and effective.
3. Physical movement: Walking is considered one of the authentic physical recognizers. It is used to identify employees in a building or as a secondary authentication identifier.
4. Patterns engagement: We all have different patterns when it comes to opening an app, the locations and times of the day, the way we browse websites, how we hold phones, how we check our social network accounts, all are behavioral characteristics. These are used to distinguish people from bots. It can also be used as an independent security measure if it is made tech-savvy in the coming years.
After going through these facial recognition apps, and analyzing the types, if you are wondering about which niche will be particularly using or benefits from the applications development? Not to worry, we have done some scratch work for you.
Who Uses Facial Recognition Apps?
- Airport facilities: The airport security can monitor people coming and going with the help of facial recognition systems. They can use this technology to identify persons who have outstayed their visas or are under criminal investigation. For instance, the Washington Dulles International Airport made their first arrest in August 2018 and caught an imposter trying to escape the country via face recognition software.
- Education institutes: No student can skip the class or send a test replacement in their place after the face recognition app is enabled. There will be fewer fraud test cases in the classroom and the professors can keep a genuine count of students. It is important for schools and colleges to avoid such mishaps in the campus and maintain the integrity of the university.
- Retail stores: They can combine surveillance cameras and facial recognition to scan the faces of shoppers and avoid potential shoplifters. The owners can easily identify the culprit with this recognition technology and keep a track of his loyal customers.
- Airlines at departure gate: Instead of checking a person’s boarding pass, it is essential for them to check the person’s identity. What better option than recognition software? So, the airline’s staff must have a security check at their disposal before the individuals board the flight.
- Marketing and advertising campaigns: Marketing starts with targeting a group of people based on their gender, age, ethnicity, for a particular product or idea. Through the facial applications, they can take care of the unwanted entries at something like campaigns or concerts for the brand.
- Social media platforms: It encounters a lot of identity and database leak or threat cases. To avoid this, Facebook uses an algorithm (face recognition facebook) to spot faces when a user uploads a photo to its platform. It also asks if a user wants to tag others in his photo and creates a link to other profiles. Facebook has 98 percent accuracy in recognizing people.
- Medical services: The dermatologists, pharmaceuticals, can keep a track of their patients and identify them. Also, keep a record of their information related to symptoms, detect phenotypes & reveal facial and non-facial features.
Planning to build a biometric technology software for your business?
Now, if you have made your mind to build an app for face recognition, then before you start brainstorming about the features, have a look at some of these features which our AI software developers developed for our mobile app.
Top 4 New Features We Integrated Into Our Developed Face Recognition App
Share this infographic on your site
1. Is there an app that can recognize faces?
- Face app
- Face DNA Test
2. How do I use Google face recognition?
Google offers the best reverse images search by matching similar images. A user has to upload pictures in the search box or can click a photo by clicking on the camera icon and finally tap on the search button.
3. How do you find someone with facial recognition?
There are two ways to find out the person.
- A user can either paste the image URL or upload images and Google will find similar images.
- The user can do a Google search for faces by adding a small code.
4. Who is benefited by the facial recognition app?
- Law enforcement and security services
- Education institutes
- Social media platforms
- Airport facilities
- Retail store owners
- Marketing campaigns
Your app idea may belong to any of the above app categories, for instance, you want to create an app like FaceApp or know about the face recognition feature. You can let us know in the comments below.
Whatever your app objective, you need an app development company that has experience in advanced technology like Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. Our developers are constantly thriving in this field and integrating this tech in our developed apps.
We are a web and mobile app development company based out of Canada, known for our performance-driven apps and creative websites. We have developed Web, iPhone, and Android apps that run seamlessly on the respective platforms.
Feel free to cross-verify your app project in full confidentiality with us by just filling the Contact Us form given in the footer. You may also avail 30-min free consultation from our technical expert. Just drop your email id or phone number below and one of our sales representatives will contact you within 48 hours.
This page was last edited on June 25th, 2020, at 10:54 AM.