2020’s Top Food Delivery Apps in Canada (Bonus: Expert Tips For Food Startups and Restaurants)
Consumers can’t decide which food app to choose for ordering food online while food startups are worried about competition and coronavirus outbreak. Herein, we have curated the best food delivery apps, along with some essential guidelines to deal with coronavirus and the like viruses and flu for future online business.
We will be blunt.
The online food ordering market is seemingly saturated. The truth is, saturation is everywhere but saturation connotes activity. A saturated market is an active market.
If you own a restaurant, it is now time to take your business online. An app to order food online cannot go wrong at this time. If you are a tech startup with an idea to develop an online food delivery app, understand the market and then just go for it.
With the coronavirus outbreak, people are practicing isolation and social distancing. But groceries, comfort food items, are the most essential necessity, which everyone is busy stalking up. Being a food ordering service or delivery services provider, your business can actually help people stay indoor and fulfill their timely needs.
Now, when we talk about your online food delivery startup, in such a crucial virus or flu time, you need to be a little bit more specific when it comes to curating features and functionalities for the app. Herein, we have listed down the top 5 on-demand food delivery applications which you can use for your competitive analysis before developing food app.
Now before heading towards the list of applications, let’s take a quick look at the online food delivery segment and get some facts and information to know the future of the delivery app world.
Online Food Delivery Market Growth
- In 2018, Canadians ordered $4.3 billion worth of meals — of which $1 billion was on meal delivery apps like Foodora and SkipTheDishes.
- The total Canadian revenue in the Online Food Delivery segment amounts to US$2.004 Bn in 2019.
- The online food delivery segment is estimated to show an annual growth rate of 10.2%, making the market volume of US$2,959m by 2023.
- The market’s largest segment is Restaurant-to-Consumer Delivery with a market volume of US$1,345m in 2019.
Being a leading web and mobile app, and software development company, we understand the growing market demand for food processing companies. We at Space-O Technologies have developed versatile food and beverage solutions and helped many companies and startups with online ordering & delivering business.
With the apt experience of developing apps in different genres from food to taxi to laundry, we have curated the best food delivery apps in Canada according to their downloads, features, and functionalities.
Top 5 Best Food Delivery Apps In Canada
SkipTheDishes app was launched in 2012 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It mainly serves in the Canadian cities but later expanded to the US and other countries. It is now associated with over 16000 restaurants worldwide. There are over 2000 employees and delivery executives of this company who work to make it one of the top Canadian food delivery apps. According to Crunchbase, this app has received total funding of CA$8.5M.
- Apple App Store Rating: 4.6
- Google Play Store Rating: 3.9
- Downloads: 1,000,000+
Source: SkipTheDishes app
Before moving further to the rest of the applications, let’s have a look at the pros & cons of this app to get a better idea for your own food delivery apps development.
- Real-time order tracking and live GPS order tracking.
- Filter restaurants by delivery fees to see nearby delivery options that offer a $0 delivery fee.
- The user is allowed to re-order his favorite dish via order history.
- The app has limited filters which result in user dissatisfaction.
- There are no proper delivery settings in the food app like multiple delivery addresses.
- Issues in checkout and payment gateway integration.
Tim Hortons restaurant was founded in 1964 and has now expanded to more than 4500 locations. They have been serving scrumptious doughnuts and coffee since the time of inception but decided to go digital in 2017 with an online food ordering system and restaurant app by the same name. It serves all the major cities in Canada and even smaller ones. According to Statista, Tim Hortons (restaurant chains) generated revenue of approximately US $3.29B.
- Apple App Store Rating: 3.8
- Downloads: 1,000,000+
Source: Tims Horton App
For more clear information on the functioning of the food application, let’s have a look at its pros & cons.
- It allows users to add recently ordered items or customize their orders in just a tap.
- Earn rewards through a digital loyalty card when ordering in a restaurant.
- Choose the pick-up method and get the order at the doorstep/ takeaway.
- The user interface of the application is not intuitive.
- No seamless login process.
- The online payment system has errors functioning in the app.
The app to deliver food was launched in 2013, San Francisco, California, United States. They now have over 6900 employees and delivery executives that make food delivery as breezy as possible. It is one of the best food delivery apps in Canada serving the cities of Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa among others. It has received total funding of $2.1B according to Crunchbase.
- Apple App Store Rating: 4.8
- Google Play Store Rating: 4.4
- Downloads: 10,000,000+
Source: DoorDash App
Before moving forward to the next food app, for better analysis of your competitor, have a look at the pros & cons. This will help you avoid the development barriers in your app.
- Schedule deliveries anytime anywhere.
- No contact-delivery for the safety of employees and customers.
- Subscription to DashPass that offers $0 service fees and delivery fee.
- DoorDash takes a lot of time to load its online food ordering services.
- The app has a glitch in its payment integration feature.
- The online delivery service has many feature functioning issues resulting in customer dissatisfaction.
This food delivery startup is originally based in Berlin, Germany and was founded in 2014. It expanded into the Candian market by acquiring Hurrier in Toronto. They have partnered with over 9000 restaurants in several countries globally. It is among the top food delivery apps in Canada and serves in the cities of Calgary, Quebec, Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, and Ottawa.
- Apple App Store Rating: 4.6
- Google Play Store Rating: 4.1
- Downloads: 1,000,000+
Source: Foodora App
Let’s have a look at the pros and cons of the Foodora app, to know more about its seamless functioning and technical glitches in the in-app user experience.
- The users can pick up their order by scheduling in advance.
- Track the food in real-time.
- Select the favorite cuisine from the local favorites.
- “Checkout” error in the food app.
- The app is missing out on “delivery near me” options for a quick delivery service.
- The delivery service app has no vegan options and a few vegetarian or allergy-friendly options.
Little Caesars was established in 1959 Garden City, Michigan, United States and went on to become one of the most famous pizza places ever. The app had to be on our list because it was launched in 2018 but has already made it mark among the best food delivery apps. This app like Uber for food delivery has a unique functionality of TouchID/ FINGERPRINT and FaceID login.
- Google Play Store Rating: 4.7
- Downloads: 1,000,000+
Source: Little Caesars
Before moving further to the rest of the delivery apps, let’s have a look at the pros & cons of this app to get a better idea for your own food delivery apps development.
- Custom food ordering and real-time order tracking.
- The specially curated menu is easy to navigate.
- Intuitive user interface.
- The delivery feature of the app is not functioning seamlessly.
- Promo codes annoy users and thus affects the in-app user experience.
- No option to make an order and select to pay at the store on a carryout.
Let’s have a look at how these food delivery apps are coping up with the coronavirus pandemic all over the world.
How are Food Delivery Apps Dealing With Coronavirus Circumstances?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “there is no evidence to support the transmission of COVID-19 associated with food.” Further concluding the statement it stated that a person might get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own face.
By applying the kitchen takeout food delivery guidelines, every online fast food delivery services are allowed to perform their task and provide necessities to the quarantined people. If you are planning to develop “deliveries near me” app or become the best among the takeout food apps then you should keep these online food delivery growth ways in mind.
1. Contactless carryout and contactless delivery: Being a food ordering app, for better customer support, you should curate such delivery options for the safety of your users and gig economy workers. These features do not allow both parties to come in direct contact with each other at the time of order delivery.
2. Eliminate delivery fees or charges: For better delivery food services, you can provide food at a flat rate and no delivery fees. Whether it is a credit card/debit card/cash payment there should be no extra charges to be laid on the consumer.
3. Emergency care kit: If you are a restaurant partners platform or sole food delivery app, you should have a basic listing of recipes, basic food combos, breakfast meals, ready to meet the increasing demand. Make sure you stock-up your inventory and sell it without any commission and optimal food quality. This will engage more traffic to your food app solution.
4. Online payment only: To avoid hand-to-hand contact, make sure your food delivery app like Postmates or GrubHub has such a feature enabled during crucial times like COVID-19 pandemic. Encourage your customers to pay the price or money online for the food they ordered at their doorsteps.
5. Sanitization of hands: Make sure your food delivery man has gloves on while delivering the parcels to ensure the safety of your employee and the client. You can also provide them with extra gloves for the customers who have opted for the cash payment methodology. The customer has to wear gloves before paying for their food package.
6. Pickups or takeaway orders: In case, if the customer decides to collect their order from your location, make sure you place it indoors on a table or chair. You can also place it outside on their vehicles, once they arrive to pick their respective orders and address them from a distance.
You have seen some of the best apps for delivery food and apps for restaurants on the list. If you wish to compete with these you would need some strategies to distinguish yourself from the rest as these apps did.
Want to develop a food delivery app like one of the above apps? Do you have another idea? Get your idea verified by the experts.
Here are some tips from our on-demand delivery app consultant that will make your app development successful.
4 Tips From Our Expert to Make the Perfect Uber for Food App
Go for unique and advanced features
All the apps that deliver food have a certain set of features that is common. This includes features like search filters, ratings, real-time tracking, among others.
In order to make your app visible in the sea of food apps, you have to include at least one feature that takes you one step ahead of your competitors.
For instance, Little Caesars and Tim Hortons app let the user customize their pizzas and beverages. While DoorDash allows Group Ordering and some apps allow scheduling of orders and even allow to book tables for a dine-in.
You can also integrate features like monthly subscription and order pooling.
Be ready to face the competition
You can’t have it all, not initially for sure. It is advised to first define your objectives firmly before taking any step.
We will explain this with an example. Suppose you own a restaurant and need to create a digital presence to stay ahead in the race. Do not jump the gun and put your entire menu on the app. There might be certain sandwiches that would go soggy when delivered.
Similarly, if you’re a food startup, you might need to provide free or discounted food initially to build a customer base before you become a big fish. There will be other new and established competitors. Your determination alone will tell if you can stand the test of time.
Keep the customers and restaurants happy
If you own a restaurant, along with managing the restaurant activities you also need to manage the delivery services. This might be another load on an already existing burden. Yet, you can’t compromise on customer-service at all
When you’re a startup, you don’t need to manage restaurant activities but you need to be careful about your relationship with the restaurants. Many restaurants complain about heavy commission rates and other issues.
You need to work in a way that customers and restaurants, both are satisfied.
Try your hands on different categories of on-demand services
The best example of this one might be the Postmates app. Not only can you order food online, but you can also order alcohol and groceries. Customers would love the convenience of ordering various things in one place. We being a leading on demand app development company will suggest you popular Uber for delivery solutions for your business.
You can go for:
- Uber for alcohol delivery
- Uber for groceries
- Uber bakery
- Uber for ice cream
- Uber beverages
- Uber for Weed
Make sure that you are established strongly in one category before branching out to others.
Do you have an app idea but don’t know how to proceed? Interested in a free consultation with the industry experts?
Top On-Demand Apps We Have Developed
We, at Space-O Technologies Canada, have developed over 30 on-demand applications. Here, we will talk about two of them.
On-demand Delivery App
We developed an on-demand delivery services app for the residents of Toronto. This advanced and feature-rich app allows them to order everything from grocery to snacks, electronics to pharmacy products and other day-to-day items. Take a look at the ravishing results from our application.
Some of the features we included in the app
- Filter product search
- Schedule delivery service for later
- Send custom gift deliveries
- Reorder items from a previous order
You can check out all the features and functionalities of the on-demand app here.
On-demand Weed Delivery App
This is a unique app that allows the users to order prescribed marijuana and get it delivered at their doorstep. They can also manage online ordering and listing. This app has helped both, the dispensaries as well as the consumers. take a look at how.
Some of the features we included in the customer’s app
- Face ID/ Touch ID
- Easy checkout process
- Order history
- Push notification
Feel free to check out features of the driver’s app and admin panel in our case study of this on-demand marijuana delivery app.
How are food delivery apps responding to coronavirus?
With the coronavirus outbreak, the people are practicing social distancing which is forcing them to rely on online meal delivery apps as they stay home. To keep up with the surge food delivery apps are responding by eliminating the fees and working on features like contactless delivery and contactless order.
Which food apps are the best?
We have curated a list of delivery companies who successfully deliver the food to their customers.
- Tim Hortons
Which tips to keep in mind while ordering food online during coronavirus?
Here are some tips to follow if ordering food online:
- Choose for contactless delivery in the app.
- Leave the outermost delivery bag on the doorsteps and carry the container with you.
- Wash your hands and transfer the food from the container to your dish.
- You can also reheat your food at 165 degrees to kill pathogens.
- Recycle or discard packaging, sanitize your dishes and wipe your table & counters.
How much does it cost to develop app like UberEats?
Cost to develop app like UberEats depends mainly on the inclusion of features and functionalities. Yet an average app development cost may range between $10,000-$30000. But a full-fledged user-friendly app and a leading app development company in Toronto like us charge about $30,000-$60,000.
Do you provide support after the app has been deployed?
Yes, we do provide support after the app has been deployed to the respective platform. We provide 90 days of free of cost technical support to fix the bugs or updates caused to the users after the launch.
We hope that we have been helpful to the food lovers as well as the food-tech startups. If you have any questions like how to create a food delivery app or what are the mistakes that you should not make, want to develop launch delivery app or dinner delivery apps, you can contact us.
We are a premier web, iPhone and Android app development company based out of Canada. We have developed various apps and web solutions in various categories. We are known for our performance-driven feature-rich apps.
Feel free to ask for a 30-min free consultation from our technical expert. Just drop your email ID in the contact us form given in the footer. One of our sales representatives will reach out to you within 48 hours.
This page was last edited on November 23rd, 2020, at 12:46 PM.