The Most Popular Dating Apps in Canada (2019)
Here we have curated a list of the 7 most popular dating apps in Canada of the year 2019. That’s not all this blog is about. In fact, it is for dating services and dating startups that want to create their own dating app. You can learn about the features, functionalities and even technologies that helped these apps climb up the ladder of success.
We live in an era where finding love has become a task. The old school ways of meeting new people in a bar don’t work anymore. People first approve each other on their mobile phone screens, then meet in real life.
Dating apps have made meeting people easier. People can easily make the first move without shying away. They can message the person whose profile they like and get the conversation going.
These apps are much in the talks. You can see from the graph of google trends that the number of people searching for the term dating apps has increased over the past 5 years.
In fact, according to Google trends, Canada is at number 12, while the US is at 18 among 57 countries that search the most for the keyword ‘online dating’.
Some mobile dating apps are doing better than others. Let’s see which are the most popular dating apps of Canada and what’s so unique about them.
2019’s Most Popular Dating apps in Canada
#1 Match Dating
Match Dating is one of the most popular online dating apps in Canada. It has over 100k downloads on Google Playstore. The most unique feature of this app like Tinder is that it helps to discover potential new matches every day.
The users can search for their kind of person with powerful filters. Match is said to be the number 1 destination for singles that looking for serious or long-term relationships.
The users can control who views and like their profiles. They can remove unwanted search results and also comment on others’ photos.
Source: Match Dating
Features of Match Dating App:
- Daily matches: User can choose from a new batch of singles that are selected as per their preferences every day.
- Topics: Matchmaking app at its best, users can find great conversation starters here. This feature helps to display their real personalities.
- Smart filter settings: The users may also customize settings to only show messages from those singles who meet their standards.
Clover is available for both Android and iOS platforms. This app claims to be a fusion of Tinder, Bumble, OkCupid, Match and much more.
Clover’s unique chatroom called “Mixers” reminds the users of the 90’s chatroom. This vibe makes the user-experience more exclusive.
Clover doesn’t differentiate and is for straight, bisexual, lesbian and gay people, all alike. The users can use search filters to find their type. Search filters have become essential while creating a dating app.
Clover also has a fun “20 questions” quiz. The hookup app also sets up dates with on-demand dating.
Clover App Features:
- Users can search or filter by relationship intention or body type, height, ethnicity, occupation and much more.
- Users can control who can see their online status and location and keep a track of their favourite profiles.
- They can also limit contact from specific age ranges and locations.
Bumble is probably the most unique and top dating app on this list. It is not just a dating app but it is an app to make connections. It is a networking app. Over 30 million people have signed up on Bumble to make valuable connections and relationships.
It is one of a kind app that makes it possible to date, find friends and build career on a single platform.
Different functionality of Bumble App
- Bumble Date is a Tinder alternative loaded with dating app features to find dates. Women make the first move which is thought to be progressive. This helps to make meaningful relationships in respectful ways.
- Bumble BFF is to make new friends. An app like Bumble is hard to find in this category. Making friends in a new city or expanding a friend circle has never been easier.
- Bumble Bizz is used to network, find mentors and create new career opportunities. This empowers the users of Bumble.
Zoosk is an app similar to Tinder and considered one of the best dating apps. Zoosk’s Behavioral Matchmaking system has made it possible to find the best matches. The algorithm factors in the changing preferences and searching habits of the users. In fact, you can also take some tips from the Zoosk app to create dating app.
Zoosk also verifies every user by photo verification and by 7-second selfie video verification. This way it makes sure that all the users are genuine.
Additionally, users need to get verified by using their phone number and social media account. Zoosk provides a third-party verification for military service verification.
Features of Zoosk App
- Carousel: Enables the users to quickly go through profiles or use SmartPick that lets the users see the people that they might connect best with.
- Advanced search filters: Users may search a loving partner by putting filters like sexuality, age, children, ethnicity, religion, education and body type.
When you create a dating app, make sure even you have filter options as it is present in all the popular dating apps in Canada.
It is impossible to talk about dating apps without talking about the Tinder app. Tinder is so popular that people call other apps as “other apps like Tinder” or “Tinder-like apps” even if they were there before it.
It has made above 30 billion matches to date with an impressive number of 26 million matches every day.
Tinder competitors have tried to copy its original Swipe Right and Left feature but no one has reached its popularity. There is no point to create an app like Tinder, now, you need to be better than Tinder.
- Tinder Plus: When a user upgrades to Tinder Plus, he/she gets to use features like Unlimited Likes, Passport to chat with anyone in the world, Rewind to give a second chance, one free Boost each month, and additional Super Likes.
- Tinder Gold: An upgrade from Tinder Plus, Gold provides more profile controls and five Super Likes per day apart from all the functionality of Tinder Plus.
Lavalife claims to find great local singles in Canadian cities, on the go. The app has over 50,000 installs on Google Playstore. The most unique feature is “In Common” which tells the users what exactly made them click with the matches.
The app allows users to browse profiles in the list as well as a grid view to enhance the user experience. Just like most dating apps on the list, the users can filter the search to find the best matches.
The users can also view zodiac signs, ideal dates and information about their matches on the app. The users may just like a profile if they find them appealing and attractive.
Features of Lavalife App:
- The users can use the instant messaging feature to keep the conversation going.
- To find the local matches, the users can play in the “LavaLounge” and find who’s around them.
- They can also view who viewed their profile and make new connections.
- They are allowed to “Favourite” their matches to see what they’re up to later.
OkCupid does work like a cupid app and helps the users to find great connections. It shows that the users are beyond their profile pictures. The users can look for partners for casual dating or marriage based on their choices.
It has one of a kind messaging system that lets users connect and have deep conversations. The users just need to answer unique questions so that the matchmaker app sets them up with people with similar interests.
Features of OkCupid App
- The users can set dating preferences whether they’re gay, straight or anything in between.
- They can see who has liked their profile without having to like them back.
- The app is free to download and use, but the users can buy subscriptions to gain access to exclusive features.
You must check out these popular dating apps in Canada before you plan to make a dating app of your own.
But are dating apps profitable? Well, to answer this question look at these market statistics and decide for yourself.
Statistics that show growth of dating apps
- The net revenue in the Online Dating services segment is US$1,958m in 2019.
- This is expected to show an annual growth rate of 6%, resulting in a market volume of US$2,471m by 2023.
- As for individual dating apps, as per Statista, Tinder had over 4.4 million paid users until 2018.
- Tinder generated over $1.7 million in the month of June 2019 in Canada alone
Let’s Pair Up!
We hope that after reading about the popular dating apps in Canada, their USPs and the market statistics of online dating services, the spark of building a dating app must have become a flame. You need to pair up with a dating app development company in order to develop an app.
We are an iPhone and Android app development company with experience of building apps in various genres including dating apps. If you have any queries or doubts about creating a dating website or apps, feel free to share it with us.
You may also hire dating app developers and share your dating app idea with our technical expert in a confidential and 30-min free consultation. All you need to do is fill up the contact us form. Our expert will reach out to you within 48 hours.
This page was last edited on September 9th, 2019, at 12:01.